Primarily considered a hotspot for up and coming professionals, the Tucson area has recently established itself as a hub for traveling medical personnel. If your career has brought you to the Tucson area, you’ve undoubtedly noticed the wealth of work opportunities as well as the many local recreational spots for you to spend your time off. However, the high temperatures the area experiences during the summer months can be a bit of a roadblock.
If you’re searching for indoor activities during these months of triple-digit heat, look no further. We’ve compiled a list of fun things to do indoors so you can beat the heat while you take a break from your busy medical career:
- Pima Air & Space Museum. With over 350 spacecraft and aircraft, the Pima Air & Space Museum is one of the largest of its kind in the world. Take a few hours or an entire afternoon and view historic and unique crafts of all kinds, including more than one Russian MiG.
- Mission San Xavier del Bac. Just south of the city is this 18th-century style Roman Catholic Church, known as the White Dove of the Desert. This National Historic Landmark features several stunning views worthy of a photograph or several and features architectural influences from Mexico to the Byzantines and more.
- Franklin Auto Museum. Another of Tucson’s wonderful crop of museums is the Franklin Auto Museum, located just north of town. Stop in to see historical examples of the Franklin Auto Company’s premiere line, first sold in the early 1900s.
- Tucson Museum of Art & Historical Block. This unique art museum boasts several adobo homes in a Mexican-style village. Each home features art with a unique, unifying theme such as contemporary, Latin American, and modern art.
- (Bonus!) Mount Lemmon Scenic Byway. While technically not an indoor activity, the scenic byway is a view you can appreciate from the comfort of your air-conditioned vehicle. This 60-mile round trip byway presents stunning canyon, mountain, and even forest views on Mount Lemmon and the Santa Catalina Range.
While there are plenty of outdoor sights traveling nurses should visit, including Reid Park Zoo, Saguaro National Park, and Catalina State Park, save them for cooler months of the year. Until then, use your downtime to check these five indoor attractions off your list.