When you think of beaches, idyllic locations like Hawaii, SoCal, and Australia may come to mind. Indeed, those locales are full of warm weather, blue water, surfers, sunbathers, and all the other trappings that come with a beach destination. However, if your work as a traveling nurse takes you to the Seattle area, you’ll soon find that the Puget Sound area has its own beach culture.
Popular Puget Sound Area Beaches
Seattle and the Puget Sound are full of great beaches of all types, encompassing every bit of the Pacific Northwest beach-going experience. From the crowd-friendly weekend beaches to the hidden gems of Seattle, find the area’s best sandy destinations with our list:
- Golden Gardens Park. Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood hosts this 80-acre park and beach overlooking Puget Sound. Golden Gardens has excellent, sandy swimming access for its many swimmers as well as a boat ramp so you can enjoy the water no matter what your weekend plans.
- Discovery Park. Potentially the best-known beach on our list, Discovery Park is in the Magnolia neighborhood and stretches over 500 acres of park, grassland, cliffs, and beach. While the area gets a bit crowded on the weekend, you still may see some seals up on the beach.
- Green Lake Park. If it’s a swimming beach you want, Green Lake Park is your spot. On-duty lifeguards, an iconic bathhouse, and plenty of sand—plus no motorized boat access (you can rent kayaks and stand up paddleboards)—make for a safe swimming experience.
- Jetty Island. Arguably the area’s sandiest swimming beach, Jetty Island is in nearby Everett. You won’t regret taking the ferry from Everett’s 10th Street Boat Launch and Marina—the swimming and the kiteboarding alone are worth the trip.
- Alki Beach. Formerly a waterfront amusement park, Alki Beach has been entertaining area beachgoers for over a hundred years. Build a campfire on the beach, play a little beach volleyball, or just bask in the fresh air.
Seattle is a seaport city with a rich Pacific Northwest cultural heritage. If your travels bring you to the Emerald City, don’t overlook the bountiful beach experiences that await you.